(1) By the star when it descends,
(2) Your companion [Muhammad] has not strayed, nor has he erred,
(3) Nor does he speak from [his own] inclination.
(4) It is not but a revelation revealed,
(5) Taught to him by one intense in strength -
(6) One of soundness. And he rose to [his] true form
(7) While he was in the higher [part of the] horizon.
(8) Then he approached and descended
(9) And was at a distance of two bow lengths or nearer.
(10) And he revealed to His Servant what he revealed.
(11) The heart did not lie [about] what it saw.
(12) So will you dispute with him over what he saw?
(13) And he certainly saw him in another descent
(14) At the Lote Tree of the Utmost Boundary -
(15) Near it is the Garden of Refuge -
(16) When there covered the Lote Tree that which covered [it].
(17) The sight [of the Prophet] did not swerve, nor did it transgress [its limit].
(18) He certainly saw of the greatest signs of his Lord.
(19) So have you considered al-Lat and al-'Uzza?
(20) And Manat, the third - the other one?
(21) Is the male for you and for Him the female?
(22) That, then, is an unjust division.
(23) They are not but [mere] names you have named them - you and your forefathers - for which Allah has sent down no authority. They follow not except assumption and what [their] souls desire, and there has already come to them from their Lord guidance.
(24) Or is there for man whatever he wishes?
(25) Rather, to Allah belongs the Hereafter and the first [life].
(26) And how many angels there are in the heavens whose intercession will not avail at all except [only] after Allah has permitted [it] to whom He wills and approves.