(23) And similarly, We did not send before you any warner into a city except that its affluent said, "Indeed, we found our fathers upon a religion, and we are, in their footsteps, following."
(24) [Each warner] said, "Even if I brought you better guidance than that [religion] upon which you found your fathers?" They said, "Indeed we, in that with which you were sent, are disbelievers."
(25) So we took retribution from them; then see how was the end of the deniers.
(26) And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham said to his father and his people, "Indeed, I am disassociated from that which you worship
(27) Except for He who created me; and indeed, He will guide me."
(28) And he made it a word remaining among his descendants that they might return [to it].
(29) However, I gave enjoyment to these [people of Makkah] and their fathers until there came to them the truth and a clear Messenger.
(30) But when the truth came to them, they said, "This is magic, and indeed we are, concerning it, disbelievers."
(31) And they said, "Why was this Qur'an not sent down upon a great man from [one of] the two cities?"
(32) Do they distribute the mercy of your Lord? It is We who have apportioned among them their livelihood in the life of this world and have raised some of them above others in degrees [of rank] that they may make use of one another for service. But the mercy of your Lord is better than whatever they accumulate.
(33) And if it were not that the people would become one community [of disbelievers], We would have made for those who disbelieve in the Most Merciful - for their houses - ceilings and stairways of silver upon which to mount