(38) When We inspired to your mother what We inspired,
(39) [Saying], 'Cast him into the chest and cast it into the river, and the river will throw it onto the bank; there will take him an enemy to Me and an enemy to him.' And I bestowed upon you love from Me that you would be brought up under My eye.
(40) [And We favored you] when your sister went and said, 'Shall I direct you to someone who will be responsible for him?' So We restored you to your mother that she might be content and not grieve. And you killed someone, but We saved you from retaliation and tried you with a [severe] trial. And you remained [some] years among the people of Madyan. Then you came [here] at the decreed time, O Moses.
(41) And I produced you for Myself.
(42) Go, you and your brother, with My signs and do not slacken in My remembrance.
(43) Go, both of you, to Pharaoh. Indeed, he has transgressed.
(44) And speak to him with gentle speech that perhaps he may be reminded or fear [Allah]."
(45) They said, "Our Lord, indeed we are afraid that he will hasten [punishment] against us or that he will transgress."
(46) [Allah] said, "Fear not. Indeed, I am with you both; I hear and I see.
(47) So go to him and say, 'Indeed, we are messengers of your Lord, so send with us the Children of Israel and do not torment them. We have come to you with a sign from your Lord. And peace will be upon he who follows the guidance.
(48) Indeed, it has been revealed to us that the punishment will be upon whoever denies and turns away.' "
(49) [Pharaoh] said, "So who is the Lord of you two, O Moses?"
(50) He said, "Our Lord is He who gave each thing its form and then guided [it]."
(51) [Pharaoh] said, "Then what is the case of the former generations?"