(1) Kaf, Ha, Ya, 'Ayn, Sad.
(2) [This is] a mention of the mercy of your Lord to His servant Zechariah
(3) When he called to his Lord a private supplication.
(4) He said, "My Lord, indeed my bones have weakened, and my head has filled with white, and never have I been in my supplication to You, my Lord, unhappy.
(5) And indeed, I fear the successors after me, and my wife has been barren, so give me from Yourself an heir
(6) Who will inherit me and inherit from the family of Jacob. And make him, my Lord, pleasing [to You]."
(7) [He was told], "O Zechariah, indeed We give you good tidings of a boy whose name will be John. We have not assigned to any before [this] name."
(8) He said, "My Lord, how will I have a boy when my wife has been barren and I have reached extreme old age?"
(9) [An angel] said, "Thus [it will be]; your Lord says, 'It is easy for Me, for I created you before, while you were nothing.' "
(10) [Zechariah] said, "My Lord, make for me a sign." He said, "Your sign is that you will not speak to the people for three nights, [being] sound."
(11) So he came out to his people from the prayer chamber and signaled to them to exalt [Allah] in the morning and afternoon.